Project: Stations of the Cross, Leeds Roman Catholic Cathedral of St Anne

Conservation of oil-on-copper stations of the cross at the Leeds Roman Catholic Cathedral of St Anne, West Yorks, 2006.

The fourteen Stations of the Cross, painted by Cesare T.G. Formili in the northern Renaissance style, and installed in Leeds Cathedral in 1912, are identical in construction, consisting of oil-on-copper panels housed in timber (probably oak), partly gilded frames
The stations of the cross at St Anne’s were obscured by layers of dust, smoke and pollutants deposited over many decades. Surface cleaning revealed the intensity of colouring as intended by Formili and complimented the superb restoration of the interior of St Anne’s during 2004-2006.

Alt Text